Skip to main content

Re-register a birth on marriage

Re-registering a birth on marriage

When the child’s natural parents have married each other since the birth, even if the father’s details were recorded at initial registration and the child was given the father’s surname, it is in the child’s best interests (and a legal requirement) that the birth be re-registered to reflect the parents’ marriage to each other.

To apply for the re-registration of a birth is by appointment only and the relevant forms are available from

What you will need to provide:

  • certified copies of the child’s full birth certificate and the parents’ marriage certificate.
  • both parents will be required to complete and sign the application form, but only one will need to attend the register office for the re-registration
  • the registrar will make a fresh register entry which will become the new legal record of the birth therefore all previous certificates will be invalid